Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Behest

Today at a pub quiz I learned what "behest" means, and it means command. So, at Georgia's behest, I'm publishing a new post and admitting that I am a shitty blogger. I haven't posted in so long, I bet most of you forgot I made this blog to keep you all up to date on my actions. How up to date do you feel? Probably not very. Well, my life has settled down a bit now, so I can kind of make a routine to it. The main reason I haven't posted in weeks is that so many exciting things have been happening I've been too busy. Sounds stupid and contrived, but sometimes exciting things happen. Not just fun things, exciting things, which involve both fun and un-fun.
The week of my birthday we had orientation for the scholarship that is sponsoring me, so I met a ton of other Americans roughly the same age and me and into some of the same things. We stayed in a hotel together and had eight hour days full of classes about New Zealand culture and nonsense. We also stayed at a Marae, which I can only describe as a traditional Maori public meeting/living house. It was pretty cool. Well, a ton of twenty somethings in a foreign city left to their own devices every night...let's just say we went out. A lot. Annnnd it was great. Educational, too! Some of the other students are even living in Wellington and we're getting to be pretty good friends by now.
I also moved into my flat on Valentine's day (aw). I was, of course, hungover from the last day of scholarship orientation, so I took a nap on my bedroom floor, first thing. Then I kind of unpacked, but not so well. One of my flatmates lent me an air mattress so I wouldn't have to sleep on the floor, but I bought a bed a few days in, so now I'm sleeping on a queen, which is actually the biggest bed I've ever owned. Also the only one I've ever paid for myself, not out of tuition or mom and dad's wallet. And I got a desk. See? Exciting things are happening in Wellington!
All was going extremely well with me, my bed and my desk, until last Thursday when I noticed I had a slight cough. Friday hit and I was definitely feeling sick. Wellington felt my pain. It rained; I had a runny nose. It was windy; I was coughing. And neither of our temperatures could stay fixed all day. Friday night I had chills so bad I couldn't stop shaking. My flatmates felt bad and showered me with warm things, but to no avail. After a fitful night's rest, I got worse. On Saturday I couldn't raise my stupid head without considerable effort, and even my toenails hurt. I think I got out of bed twice. I felt slightly better on Sunday, Monday I made it to campus to finish enrollment at my school, and today I'm nearly perfect. I even walked to the grocery store.
So that brings you up to date on my life so far. I have friends, flatmates, the flu, and now I'm enrolled and even starting official research for my project!
A lot of little stupid mundane things happened along the way, like thinking both my computer and cell phone were broken and taking them to get repaired, shopping, cooking, and my hotel roomates breaking wine glasses and lighting electric kettles on fire. Maybe I'll get into those things later, but the way things are going, I think I'll always have too much material and not enough discipline to make time to write about it all. I'll try harder, though. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment