Have you ever let an open block of tofu sit in your refrigerator for far too long, then decide to cook it? I have. It's not making me sick, because what can be wrong with tofu? But it does taste a little bit like cheese.
It's Thursday and I continue to trudge through the Mansfield letters- actually, that's not being fair. I totally enjoy spying on this dead woman's life, and her letters are so beautiful, but ever since she was diagnosed with TB they are just so sad.
I went to the beach yesterday with my friend Keoni. I'm not rubbing it in- soon it will be warm in America and goddamn cold here- I'm just telling you a story. We lounged in the sun and ate lunch and I read while he worked on math problems. Most of the afternoon, a very tan, wrinkled figure lie face down in the sand in front of us. I just assumed it was a sixty-something year old man in a speedo, but presently a woman in her thirties and her children approached whoever it was. A very fit, active looking grandma sat up, tieing her bikini straps and apologizing for having been asleep. Her daughter sat down, and the carrot topped little girl and boy proceeded to crawl all over the women. The little girl was probably around five and the little boy two or three. They took turns running up and down the beach. Well, mainly the little girl (with little round glasses bouncing) ran up and down the beach while her little brother tried hard to catch up. His fat little legs looked like they had no knees and they flew out at strange angles while he tried to get his hips to keep them in line. Keoni and I watched them for awhile over our books and although the little girl seemed to be practicing screaming most of the time, it was still a Good Day at the Beach.
Some days I wonder about New Zealand. Wellington seems like such a go-get-'em city, but then again all the shops close around six. I suppose I should really be all for that- less work! more play! but it just seems like such an oxymoron. Also, sometimes I need groceries at eight o'clock. But I suppose I should embrace this slightly less capitalistic society, and for the most part, I do. I think I'm just spoiled rotten most of the time. I'm used to unlimited broadband.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- November 2010 (1)
- March 2010 (1)
- February 2010 (2)
- January 2010 (6)
- December 2009 (12)
- November 2009 (7)
- October 2009 (14)
- September 2009 (6)
- August 2009 (1)
- July 2009 (2)
- June 2009 (6)
- May 2009 (2)
- April 2009 (2)
- March 2009 (4)
- February 2009 (4)
- January 2009 (1)
No comments:
Post a Comment