Now, Katherine, what do you mean by health? And what do you want it for? Answer: By health I mean the power to live a full, adult, living breathing life in close contact [with] what I love – the earth and the wonders thereof, the sea, the sun. all that we mean when we speak of the external world. I want to enter into it, to be part of it, to live in it, to learn from it, to lose all that is superficial and acquired in me and to become a conscious, direct human being. I want, by understanding myself, to understand others… Then I want to work. At what? I want so to live that I work with my hands and my feeling and my brain. I want a garden, a small house, grass, animals, books, pictures, music. And out of this – the expression of this – I want to be writing … But warm, eager living life – to be rooted in life – to learn, to desire to know, to feel, to think, to act. That is what I want. And nothing less. That is what I must try for.
In which I talk about Katherine Mansfield and living where she grew up.
Brass pen-wiper, a gift from Mansfield's dad, Harold Beauchamp.
"Im a lion all day, darling, but with the last point of daylight I begin to turn into a lamb and by midnight - mon Dieu! by midnight the whole world has turned into a butcher!"
No comments:
Post a Comment